In this episode, we are going to talk about how to choose your genre
When You Don’t Want to Choose
- John Grisham
- Stephen King
- Pen names
- Movie Test – What kinds of movies do you like to watch?
- Throwing Book Across the Room Test – (When you keep re-writing movies and books with a better storyline)
- The bookstore test – What aisles of the bookstore do you keep finding yourself walking down and yet not buying a book in?
- Can’t stop thinking about it test
- If I could only read one genre for the rest of my life
Skills Tests (James will never play in the NBA)
- Some Genres Require Non-Genre Skills
- Christian Books (Christianity)
- Science Fiction (Science)
- Romance (High Relational Empathy and understanding of psychology)
- Historical Fiction (History)
- Action (Need to fire a gun)
- What has sold the best in the past?
- Night Stand Test – What kind of books are on your nightstand right now. (You write best what you read most.)
- What kind of writing have you written in the past?
- What would you be willing to go to workshops to learn more about writing?
- What authors do you see as mentors?
- Underserved category on Amazon
- Overserved Market
- Similar to a popular book
- Similar to popular movies & TV shows
- Learning to write quickly.
- Popular Computer Games
Which one is play?
- How can readers enjoy reading what you were miserable creating?
MyBookTable 3 Now with Kindle Instant Preview and International Mode