We thought we had said everything we wanted to say about branding. We were wrong.
Initial Branding Steps
- Step 1 – Look in the Mirror (Who am I)
- Step 2 – Look at Your Readers (Who are my readers?)
- Step 3 – Look Through Your Readers (What do my readers say about me?)
Now we would like to talk about Step 4. Look in Your Reader’s Mirror.
- What does my brand let my readers say about themselves?
- What tribe does this brand give me access to?
Not all author brands have the potential to get to this place and most authors never get there.
This is where you ask. What do people think my brand says about them? It is about insiders as much as it is about outsiders.
Doing it Right:
- Lord of the Rings
- Hunger Games
- Brandon Sanderson’s Cosmere
- Getting Things Done
- Shirt Test (Disney- hats/shirts/coffee cups)
- Bumper Sticker Test (Apple)
- Tattoo Test (Harley Davidson)
How to do it:
- Define “outsiders” when everyone is welcome, no one is at home.
- Create opportunities for your fans to interact with each other.