In this episode we are going to talk about how to take charge of your career in ways that will make it fly higher, faster, and for longer … And to help us figure all that out are two special guests, Megan Haskell, and Greta Boris. Megan and Greta are bestselling, award winning authors that co-own Orange County Writers, a network of published and aspiring authors. Welcome to the program, ladies!
- We know we should take charge of our career, but many of us aren’t even sure what that means? Can you explain that a bit?
- Guide for helping you overcome the overwhelm.
- Figuring out which pathway to take. Which thing do I need to know more about?
- How patient are you?
- How willing are you to give up the reins?
- Are you organized enough to be a project manager? Set deadlines and MEET them? Can you do that?
- What are the areas that, if we changed them, can make the most immediate impact?
- Finding time to write seems to be an evergreen issue … what counsel do you give writers?
- You have to establish habits. Start small. Then build on them.
- Triggers. Put yourself in the right mind set. For example, opening up the doc, and re-reading, listening to Brain FM. That’s the trigger.
- Prep time. Plan. Schedule it. And knowing what you’re going to right before you sit down.
- Spend the first few minutes before each writing session Brain Dumping
- How can we use the “Brain Dump” technique in order to write faster?
- No delete, no backspace, no editing at all. This uses a different part of your brain, you’re seeing snapshots, you can get into a creative flow easier. If you have to think about periods … you eliminate all those distractions.
- Include sensory detail … 2 minutes before you start writing the scene. Puts you in the mind set to starting writing.
- Can help you untangle things … brain is freed up to find an answer.
- We know you have some killer productivity hacks that will help authors, what are some of the most powerful?
- Write in sprints, Pomodoro
- Be mobile as possible. Scrivner is on every device. Can work whenever there’s five or ten minutes. Fifty or a hundred words on mobile devices. It all adds up!
- Don’t waste time on social media.
- Use the Enneagram personality test to see who your characters are
- There’s been a lot of great ideas you’ve talked about … but if there was only one thing you could suggest our listeners do, what would it be?
- Schedule the writing time, and
- Brain Dump- turn off the inner editor
Where can we find out more about Orange County Writers and about each of you?
- OC Writers: http://ocwriters.network/
- Greta: http://gretaboris.com/
- Megan: http://www.meganhaskell.com/
- Carrie Daws and her story, The Embers Series
- Inspector Cassandra McCarthy never thought she’d be raising her two daughters alone, but her husband’s unexpected death forced her to find a career. Now working beside a retired Special Operations soldier and veteran fireman, she serves her small North Carolina town, protecting them from hazards they don’t understand. She loves what she does and trusts God to provide—until a hurricane and a series of unexplained fires hits too close to home. What will it cost Cassandra to protect the citizens of Silver Heights?
- 5 Year Plan to Become a Bestselling Author
- We created this plan to make you a bestselling author. Guaranteed. It’s a step by step guide that teaches you the exercises you need to do, the books you need to read, and the writing you need to be accomplishing quarter by quarter. Even if you’re a published author, this course will show you the areas you need to get stronger in to hit that bestseller status. And as we mentioned, it’s guaranteed. In two ways. If you don’t become a bestselling author after you finish the course, we give you your money back. And if you get 30 days into the course and you find out it’s not for you, we give you your money back. Is this course for everyone? No. You have to work hard. But you knew that already, didn’t you? Find out all the details on the Five Year Plan to becoming a bestselling author at: Novelmarketing.com/courses. And, Novel Marketing patrons get 50% off!